Family Farm Creameries Cheese Share
Thanks to Family Farm Creameries we'll be able to get you some awesome grass fed, non-gmo local cheese every week in your box. FFC sources exclusively from independent family owned creameries in Western, PA.
Here is a link to their website offering details about the farms with which they work. They have a cheese blog: www.tinyurl.com/FFC-Cheese-Blog on their website: www.familyfarmcreameries.com. The blog coincides with the cheeses included in the CSA. A new article is posted every Monday and it is publicized via social media and the bi-weekly "moos" letter to which you can subscribe.
We are offering 8oz packages of cheese for $7.50. This will be delivered weekly in your CSA box. Total cost for 8oz of cheese for 25 weeks is $187.50.
Below is the list of cheeses we're offering during the 25 week CSA season. We asked FFC to choose their 11 favorite cheeses for our CSA so you will get to taste their cream of the crop cheese twice throughout the season.
Listed by flavor profile from mildest to sharpest:
1. “Homesteader” – Pasture Maid Creamery, New Castle, PA o Semi-soft cow’s milk cheese with mild sweet cream flavor, a simple and versatile raw milk “farmers-style” cheese great for snacking, pizza, lasagna, and more
2. “Earth Tomme” - Milky Way Meadows, Townville, PA o Hard cow’s milk cheese with a mild-yet-rich flavor and creamy mouth-feel; an Alpine-style cheese made of skimmed raw milk, pairs well with a variety of wines, best enjoyed “straight-up” but melts nicely for added texture in grits and potato dishes
3. “Meadow Delight” - Pasture Maid Creamery, New Castle, PA o Semi-soft cow’s milk cheese with a high-moisture content and a hint of tang; a Colby-style cheese made of raw milk, very versatile, a milder Mild Cheddar substitute
4. “Venus Havarti” - Milky Way Meadows, Townville, PA o Semi-hard cow’s milk cheese with a buttery flavor and dense mouth-feel; made of raw milk, has small “eyes” or holes, perfect for melting onto a sandwich
5. “Goat Milk Chèvre” – River View Dairy, Emlenton, PA o Soft goat’s milk cheese with a tangy flavor and fluffy mouth-feel; made with pasteurized milk, spreads and crumbles well, can be enjoyed alone or alongside preserves/honey on a baguette, sprinkled over a beet salad, or baked into a fruit tart
6. “Tussey Mountain” – Clover Creek Cheese Cellar, Williamsburg, PA o Medium-hard cow’s milk cheese with a buttery texture and tangy, nutty flavor; an Emmental Swiss-style cheese made of raw milk, melts well, tastes great in scrambled eggs or pairs nicely with sweet white or rosè wines; a “surprising” crowd-pleaser even among those who “hate” Swiss cheese
7. “Royer Mountain” – Clover Creek Cheese Cellar, Williamsburg, PA o Medium-hard cow’s milk cheese with a soft mouth-feel, a bit of saltiness and sharp aftertaste; a young or “baby” “Vacchino” Romano-style cheese made with raw milk; adds desirable saltiness to pasta dishes and salads
8. “Cellar-Aged Cheddar” – Clover Creek Cheese Cellar, Williamsburg, PA o Semi-hard cow’s milk cheese with a dense mouth-feel and sharp, salty flavor; made with raw milk; very versatile, melts beautifully; a nice “middle-of-the-road” Cheddar and overall crowd-pleaser
9. “Meadowbelle” – River View Dairy, Emlenton, PA o Semi-hard goat’s milk cheese with sharp and slightly nutty flavor profile; an Alpine-style cheese made of raw milk; best enjoyed “straight-up” and pairs well with full-bodied red wines or dark/malty beers
10. “Pirate Blue” – Clover Creek Cheese Cellar, Williamsburg, PA o Medium-hard cow’s milk blue cheese with a creamy-yet-crumbly texture and pungent aroma; made with raw cow’s milk; slightly sharp, great on cheese plates or crumbled over salads; also pairs well with honey, pears, etc.
11. “Saturn Baby Swiss” Hard cow’s milk cheese with very sharp flavor, American Swiss-style cheese made of raw milk, full of large “eyes” or holes, great for sandwiches